IMG_4128.jpeg

What do you do when you plan out a build on paper, get people involved and the ball kinda starts rolling and suddenly stops?

You think long and hard at the choices you made and figure out a solution, ASAP. I really wanted to run a set of flares and made the unfortunate mistake of assume these parts were available. The two companies I went to for my flare fix both had, at least a 4-6 week wait and possibly longer if pre-orders took all the product that were coming in. I knew I couldnt risk missing my deadline on product that "might" get here so I decided to try and create my own flares.

I based my design off of the Fury Motoring Flares/Fifteen52 flares, but went with a set that were a bit less aggressive. Luckily for me I had a set of ASM s2000 (Rear)flares sitting around that were collecting dust and they looked like they just the shape I was looking for. After an initial mock up I knew I had a good solution. Of course it would take alot of work to make them fit but I enjoy it at times.
 

279541239_04e40563-9b18-4710-b529-ce310b
IMG_3845.jpeg
IMG_3852.jpeg

From this picture you can see how I masked off the flare where I wanted to chop off the excess fiberglass. I tried both the left and right sides of the flares to see what fit best. I ended up using the right rear flare for the left front and the left rear for the right front...lol it all worked out. The last picture shown is after the excess was chopped off.

For the rear of the car I had to basically do the same process. Line up the flares and figure out what orientation would suit it best. The challenge for the rear flares was figuring out how to cut the door line and keep the flare looking fluid. The pic below shows after I made the cut and fiberglassed/bondo'd the gap.

IMG_3866.jpeg
IMG_3878.jpeg

For the door caps, I had to take extra pieces I had to create them. Mainly because the shape wasnt what I wanted and my initial cut wasnt all that great. So I had to go back to correct that.

After I finished shaping the flares and fitting them I prepped them for paint and primed them so I could get an idea of what I was working with. At this point my wheels finally had some tires so I test fitted those too.

IMG_4128.jpeg
IMG_4130.JPG
IMG_4206.jpeg

After I liked what I seen, I took the parts off to be painted and prepared myself to cut into a brand new car that was still rocking dealer plates. But I knew the end result would be worth it, So I tried not to think too much about it.

My process may differ from what others do, but this was how I went about installing the flares after paint. I knew they fit so I went ahead and tape the flares on first. After that I predrilled the holes into the car and then put the screws in. After I had them mounted, I then used the flares as a template as to how far up and around I could cut the fender underneath.

IMG_4214.jpeg
IMG_4212.jpeg

This was my very rough first cut into the passenger fender (first pic). After I cut the fenders I preloaded the suspension with a Jack to see how far up the tire would go to make sure I had enough clearance.(second pic) After I knew I had enough clearance I sanded down all the edges and sealed the rear fenders up. After the flares where mocked up and situated, I later then used riv-nuts to secure the flares to the car.

IMG_4209.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
2.jpg

And the final results! A slightly less aggressive style flare with all for around the price of 300$ plus shipping. All in all I'm happy with the results. I know its not perfect and it needs a bit of work to make them look better, but for what it is I am beyond excited at the results. Now all thats left is finding a nice front lip and maybe some side skirts....

1.jpg
3.jpg
IMG_4265.jpeg
IMG_4281.jpeg